• Feel confident in understanding the impact on brain development when ASD is diagnosed;
• How this can impact emotional regulation;
• How this can impact the time spans given for developmental milestones;
• Feel confident in educating parents and carers to support attunement and expectations.
• Take away strategies to support C & YP
Autism (ASD) is a lifelong developmental disability which affects how people communicate and interact with the world. One in 100 people are on the autism spectrum and there are around 700,000 autistic adults and children in the UK.
You’ll gain an understanding of how having ASD can affect the development of the brain in children and young people, and explore how this can affect emotional regulation and meeting age-related developmental milestones.
Through discussion and scenario-based work, our clinicians will help you feel confident to impart this knowledge to parents/carers in order to support attunement and build resilience. You’ll also take away practical strategies to support the children and young people in your setting to understand themselves and what this diagnosis might mean for them.